8th November 2022 – 2 spaces left
7th February 2023 – 3 spaces left
NVQ Level 2
Tues-Fri – 10:00-16:00 (Full Time)
Tues- 17:00 – 20:00 & Sat 10:00-16:00 (Part Time)
For those that want to learn all aspects of barbering and gain NVQ Level 2 certification, this is the perfect place to start your career in barbering. This qualification is what most employers are looking for. No prior experience is required.
Alongside gaining your NVQ, you’ll learn how to ensure a high level of service, the Strap and Scraper London Barbershop way. We have our philosophy and it has proven to work throughout our barbershops over the past 5 years and we believe is why we are so highly rated. So, in a nut shell, here’s what we cover on our courses:
- Strong consultations – When a client sits in your barber chair, it’s so important to ask precise questions in order to distinguish what they want and work within a specific time frame. It’s also important to consider the time taken to extract this information. If you don’t know what your client wants then you are going in blind! A big no no from us.
- The client journey – From the minute someone enters your barbershop doors, to the moment they leave, the time is precious and we instil our Strap and Scraper formula to get you ready for the barbering world. From how you greet, to how you communicate, it all plays a role and we have the script.
- Hair cutting – The main piece of the puzzle. Here, we cover a huge array of barbering methods and techniques. By barbering, we mean barbering; not mens hairdressing or hairdressing in general. We are proud to be premium barbers and that’s what we deliver…premium barbering. What we cover as barbers:
- Scissor over comb, clipper over comb, razor skin fades, grade 0, grade 0.5 and grade 1 fades, how to deliver and achieve high, low and mid fades, scissor cuts, tapering, outlines, general clipper work, texturising techniques, thinning scissors: how and when to use them and many many more!
- Facial hair – A hugely popular demand these days. From sculpting beards to clean cut throat razor shaves, we cover it all. The process, the tools, the delivery and how to put it all together.
- Blowdrying – The key ingredient to an excellent haircut is an excellent blow dry. From how to hold the hairdryer in sync with your correct styling brushes, to actual techniques and methods to achieving different looks.
- Product styling and knowledge – The best way to compliment a fantastic haircut, is the product you style it with. It is imperative you know what works with what kind of hair type, what kind of finish they leave in the hair and even your product ingredients. These are key things every barber should know and key knowledge we will deliver.
- How to maintain a client base – We are not here to teach you how to cut hair for social media. We aim to get you ready for a variety of barbershop environments and ready and able to deliver an excellent haircut, alongside excellent customer service. Remember, working in a barbershop means working on time frames and building and maintaining a client base. Our methods, experience and knowledge will get you there.
- Tips on how to get employed – What makes you employable, things you should be doing, things you shouldn’t and any questions you may have; throw them our way and we will be more than happy to help.
- Barber etiquette – Key things that we do in Strap and Scraper that make us who we are, from tiny minor details, to more obvious ones. We are Strap and Scraper London Barber Academy and we look forward to you starting your barber career with us.
NVQ Level 2 & 3
Tues – Fri – 10:00am-4pm (Full Time)
This course is for anyone that wants to gain NVQ Level 2 & 3 certification at the same time. The first 9 weeks will consist of the national occupational standards for Level 2 NVQ, whilst the remaining 3 weeks will consist of the standards for NVQ Level 3; taking you from no experience, to master barber in just 12 weeks. You will be assessed on the following units according to the VTCT standards as well as the Strap and Scraper London way:
- Please see NVQ Level 2 course information
- Please see NVQ Level 3 course information
NVQ Level 3
Tues – Fri – 10:00am-4pm (Full Time)
This course is for anyone that has prior experience in barbering or is qualified to NVQ Level 2. The qualification builds on existing knowledge and understanding of barbering and develops more detailed and enhanced technical skills.
Although most employers tend to look at NVQ level 2 as a requirement for employment, having your level 3 is a nice added bonus. If you already have a level 2 NVQ or similar and you are wanting to enhance your skills or if you want to go down the editorial/fashion shoot route where this qualification is more recognised then this is the course for you.
Please note for this course you will be required to supply your own models for certain parts. You will be assessed on the following units according to the VTCT standards as well as the Strap and Scraper London way:
Providing client consultation services
Creatively cutting hair using a combination of barbering techniques
Designing and creating a range of facial hair shapes
Providing shaving services including cut-throat razor work